Cruises - Canal du Midi route : Béziers - Carcassonne
As you drift along the magnificent Canal du Midi you will step back into the time of Louis XIV- the "Sun King" or "Roi Soleil" - who commissioned this prodigious engineering feet; thus finally achieving the dream of linking the Mediterranean Sea with the Atlantic Ocean.
Deservedly, the Canal du Midi is now classed on the World Heritage List of Conservation.
The region of Languedoc, interlaced with the Canal du Midi, unravels a rich history from prehistoric time, through the Roman occupation, succeeded by the turbulent Middle Ages. The landscape and exceptional architecture captures the atmosphere of time revisited.
Whether your passion is for history, arts and crafts, adventure, village atmosphere, wine discovery or shopping ... your cruise onboard “Roi Soleil" will be personally tailored to your specific interests
The Canal du Midi meanders through the vast diversity of scenic landscapes that changes dramatically from the rugged, rural Languedoc regions to the sun-drenched, azure blues of the Mediterranean.
Within this vast region also lies a land of poetry, and of proud people devoted to the soil and of course the wine ... a passion they will share with you in private tastings of the local Minervois and Corbières wines
Be prepared for new sights, tastes and aromas that will take you on a voyage of aesthetic discovery.
Sample Itinerary Canal du Midi – Roi Soleil
Béziers – Carcassonne (Homps mooring) or reverse
A charter on ROI SOLEIL is all about CHOICE. Here's the route - and suggestions on what is available each day to customize your cruise. According to local festivities your guide will offer more options.
Underlined are overnight moorings for the boat.We have not included the cycling, running or walking opportunities.
Béziers East- Cassafieres to Portiragnes
- transfer, welcome on-board, and cocktails
- navigation along the canal through a rural area with wetlands, a reserve for flamingoes and horses.
Portiragnes to Fonserannes
- sailing through the great locks of Fonseranne
- excursion to historical city of Pézenas ( famed architecture, many artisans & antiques, option to add a wine tasting at a prized property)
- or excursion to the impressive hill village of Roquebrun by the river Orb (possible to swim)
- and / or - visit to the preroman Oppidum of Enserune, a major archaeological site with panoramic views of the surrounding valleys
- and / or - visit Béziers historical centre and shops
Fonserannes to Capestang
- sailing into the heart of the historic village of Capestang
- private visit to the cistercian Abbey of Fontroide, one of the finest examples in France
- or excursion to the impressive hill village of Roquebrun (possible to swim or kayak)
- and / or wine tasting at cellar of a top Sommelier and supplier to Michelin starred chefs.
- and / or a visit a Camargue bull and horse ranch with the opportunity to round up the bulls on horseback
Capestang to La Croisade or Somail
- morning excursion to the charming City of Narbonne that was the Roman Capital of the early Gaulles - its vibrant food market - the famed art and roman archeology museums within the Bishop Palace -many shops and cafes on cobbled streets - a highlight of the week
- afternoon sailing to the peaceful country village of Somail with an impressive antique bookstore
- sailing beneath the smallest bridge in France
Somail to Paraza
- morning visit to the hill village of Minerve, which is a beautiful natural site that has a dramatic history dating back to the time of the Crusades.
- visit to prized olive oil mill, Oulibo, and a historic Languedoc village
- an afternoon sail to Paraza and mooring by an ancient canal bridge with views across the valley.
- private wine tasting in a renown Minervois domain with up to 15 varietals
Paraza to Homps
- visit to the fortified city of Carcassonne - Europe's largest Medieval Fortress - a great place to be transported into medieval history and a shopping opportunity.
- or visit medieval village of Lagrasse and its artisans.
- afternoon sailing to Homps with many locks.
Saturday 10 am.
- a leisurely breakfast onboard then transfer to departure point.